3 Tab vs Architectural Shingles
There are many types of asphalt shingles available.
The most popular types include three-tab shingles, architectural shingles, and premium shingles.
Three-tab and architectural asphalt shingles are the most popular among these categories.
Three-tab shingles are uniformly sized and spaced evenly, while architectural shingles can be ordered in many three-dimensional sizes.
What is the difference between architectural shingles and tab shingles? Here are the facts.
3-Tab Shingles: Lightweight, Affordable
Three-tab shingles can be lightweight and simple to install. After installation, they look thinner and more like two-dimensional shingles.
Three-tab shingles are less durable than architectural shingles but will cost less.
Three-tab shingles have the following benefits:
- They are durable. Three-tab shingle roofs last for up to 30 years. This is more than enough time for many homeowners.
- They are easy to maintain. These shingles are easy to install and don’t need much maintenance other than inspection and cleaning.
- They are attractive. The flat, symmetrical shape of these shingles makes them popular with homeowners and business owners.
- They are affordable. Three-tab shingles can be one of the most affordable shingle options.
With all that being said, three-tab shingles may not always be the best option.
There are some downsides to using three-tab shingles.
They are not as long-lasting because they are light. And some may prefer shingles with a more three-dimensional shape to them.
It all depends on the homeowner’s preferences and needs. It’s worthwhile to compare three-tab shingle roofs with architectural roofing in order to determine which is the most cost-effective, both in the short term and long term.
Architectural Shingles: Durable, Long-lasting
Three-dimensional, long-lasting architectural shingles can be found in many styles and designs. They are slightly heavier than three-tab shingles. This product is more expensive and considered to be of higher quality. Although they aren’t as popular as three-tab roof shingles, there are some major advantages.
- They are durable. They can last as long as 50 years. This makes them a great investment for anyone who is looking to make a long-term plan.
- They are resistant to the elements. They can withstand winds up to 120 mph and are more resistant than other materials to hail.
- They increase property value. Although architectural shingles are more expensive than asphalt shingles they can also increase the property’s value.
- They offer greater waterproofing. They are more likely to stay waterproofed longer because of their design.
Architectural shingles are more robust and have a longer lifespan than three-tab shingles. Because of these advantages, they do cost more.
Many homeowners will choose between architectural shingles or three-tab shingles based on their budget and aesthetic preferences.
Choose Between Architectural Shingles and 3-Tab Shingles
There are many things to take into consideration, but the most important is how long you plan to stay on your property.
The type of roof you choose may not be as important if you are only going to live in the property for five to ten years.
It’s likely that architectural roofing shingles will be the best choice if you plan to live in the property for 20-30 years.
The budget is another factor.
Three-tab shingles are more affordable than architectural shingles.
With that being said, both three-tab and architectural shingles can be great choices.
They are both durable and economical. And if speed is important, three-tab shingles are lighter and easier to install.
To determine which style will best suit your home, it is a good idea to compare three-tab and architectural shingles. To determine the best type, you can take a look at the different types of shingles in a store, and bring a sample home to compare it to your current style of shingle.
Consider that a three-tab shingled roof might be less expensive upfront, but might need replacement several times if in a hail-prone area.
There are premium shingles as well if neither the three-tab nor the architectural fit your specific needs. In the end, it all comes down to budget and aesthetics.
Before you decide on a shingle, consult with us on samples so that you make the right decision.
Call Red Ladder Roofing today to find out more.